LOVE ❤ Mexican Cuisine?
Try My Cheesy Quesadilla with Salsa and you will feel like a pro at making Mexican Food. Its really simple and gets ready in no time.
I love Mexican Cuisine. The reasons are quite obvious. I love spicy and cheesy food. Whenever we talk about Mexican Cuisine all that comes in our minds are Nachos, Tacos, Burritos, Mexican Rice, Mexican Salad, Fajitas, Sour Cream, Gucamole, Salsa etc. Well is Mexican Cuisine all about this? Not really. There is a lot more to it. But these are some of the exclusive dishes which people do not eat everyday . Like here in India, whenever we go to restaurants we find Dal Makhni, Paneer ButterMasala, Naan etc on the menu..which is not something we Indians eat daily but these are our premium dishes. Similarly, when we talk about Mexican Cuisine we think of all these Premium Dishes. I am going to make all these with the course of time. To begin with I chose Quesadillas as they are my super favorite.
P.S- I Love Mexican Food because its Spicy.
A quesadilla is a flour tortilla or a corn tortilla filled with a savory mixture and lots of cheese and covered with another tortilla and cut into a pizza like shape. Quesadilla can be served with salsa, sour cream or simple plain. It has a lot of cheese including processed cheese, mozzarella cheese and yellow cheddar cheese. These enhance the flavor and texture of the dish. The filling however can be of your choice. You could go for a mix veg version or a paneer version. The choice is totally yours.
You can also call them as a Mexican style stuff pancakes, like a toasted sandwich, made with two tortillas sandwiched together with a cheese based filling. They are warmed through and meant to be served hot. Some people like to fry their quesadillas in oil, but I dont like it that way. It makes them extremely oily and unhealthy. I like to put them in a dry non-stick frying pan on a medium heat , so that after a minute or two you are left with a really crispy outside and an oozy stringy filling.
P.S- Quesadillas are really easy to make. If you are a beginner at cooking Mexican Food.. try these and you will be amazed with the way they turn out to be.
The Tortillas can either be ready to eat or you can make them at home. Its really easy. I prefer fresh home made tortillas. All you have to do is mix four ingredients- Flour, Salt, Oil and Water and form and dough. Roll it out and put them in a dry non-stick pan on medium heat and let it stay there for about a minute on each side & voila …your fresh homemade tortillas will be ready. They have a shelf-life for about a day or two. You just have to keep them covered.
The filling for the Quasedillas completely depends on your choice. I have prepared a basic cheese quesadillas with Corn, Tomatoes, Onion, Corn and lots of cheese. You can fill in any other combination of veggies you prefer. The choice is totally yours. However, for a classic version of Veg Quesadillas, Corn..Tomatoes..Green Chilli and Cottage Cheese is preferred.
RECIPE: CHEESY QUESADILLAS With SALSA
Makes- 2 Quesaldillas
Prep Time-30 mins
Making Time- 10 mins
For Fresh Tortillas:
- Flour- 1 1/2 cup
- Oil- 1 Tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Water- As Required
- Onion- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped
- Tomatoes- 1 Cup Finely Chopped
- Green Chilli- 2 Finely Chopped
- Cilantro- A handful Finely Chopped
- Lemon Juice- 2 Tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/4th Tsp
- Sugar- A pinch
For Tortillas Stuffing:
- Cottage Cheese- 100 gms (Diced into small cubes)
- Corn- 1/2 cup ( Boiled)
- Tomatoes- 1 (Finely Chopped)
- Onion- 1 (Finely Chopped)
- Green Chilli-1 (Finely Chopped)
- Mushrooms- 2 to 3 (Finely Chopped)
- Salt- To Taste
- Pepper- 1/4th Tsp
- Chilli Flakes- 1/4th Tsp
- Fajita Seasoning- 1/2 Tsp
- Oil- For cooking
- Processed and Mozzarella Cheese- 50 gms
1. To make Fresh Tortillas, In a large bowl mix all the ingredients given under the Tortillas recipe and form a dough. Cover the dough with a wet cloth.
2. Heat oil in a pan, then add green chilli and onion. Saute for a min, then add corn, tomatoes, mushrooms, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and fajita seasoning. Just cook them for about 2 mins.
3. Now,Evenly divide the dough into round chapati balls and Roll out the dough similar to a chapati, and cook on a non- stick pan. Just cook for 1 min on each side. Cook all the tortillas and keep them aside.
4. Take a thin tortilla and spread the filling and top it up with cheese. Now put the second tortilla on top and press it to make it stick. Cook it in a non stick pan by pressing it on both sides till crisp.
5. Cut like pizza wedges and serve hot along with SALSA
6. For the Salsa, Mix all the ingredients under the Salsa heading and leave for 30 mins.
Your Cheese Quesadillas are now ready.
For any queries and collaborations contact me at : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you cook or bake anything from Cooking Diary By Shruti…Please Share the Pictures on Instagram or Facebook and Tag @cookingdiarybyshruti. I would love to see them. Also I would feature it on my blog.