These two basic ingredients can do wonders and enhance your taste buds.
This is my first Indian Cuisine recipe on Cooking Diary by Shruti. So far I have posted mostly baking stuff and desserts. Well the blog isnt about baking only. Cooking is more like a passion and I explore all the cuisines and recipes. So i am excited about this one.
Well….. Matar Paneer is not made with too fancy ingredients. Paneer (Cottage Cheese) and Peas are like the basic ingredients in the kitchen. It goes really well with Rotis, Rice or any other kind of bread you would prefer.
Confession: I am not a Cottage Cheese Fan!!! 😛
Yess… its true…… Although i am a Vegetarian I am not too fond of Paneer. I enjoy cooking it and I love the gravy but no Paneer. My friends find it really surprising……… 😛 They say if you are a vegetarian you should love paneer but I just dont enjoy it.
This dish is reallly easy to make. And trust me the tangy and spicy tomato gravy will just make your taste buds dance. Many people like the gravy a bit creamy tooo…..But I like this one a little spicy and tangy…. It just goes perfect with the Peas.
The best thing about Indian Cuisine is that there are so many flavors you can incorporate in one dish and each one of you could just create your own version of it. There are no rules…. You could make it as spicy, sweet, tangy or creamy as you wish. So its so much fun cooking it.
My mom makes the best paneer in this world…….. and this recipe is very much inspired by the way she makes it.
Very easy and fun to make this delicious authentic recipe. 🙂
- Cottage Cheese – 200 gms
- Peas (Boiled) – 1 cup
- 2 small onions diced
- 4 medium sized tomatoes diced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chilli
- Fresh Corriander chopped
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar- A pinch
- Black Pepper Powder- A pinch
- Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
- Tomato Ketchup- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Vegetable/Cooking Oil- 2 Tbsp
1. In a heavy bottom pan, heat a tbsp oil, add cumin seeds, garlic, green chilli, and onion.
2. When the onion turns golden add in the diced tomatoes.
3. Now add salt and turmeric powder to these and cook them for about 5 to 7 mins.
4. Once the tomatoes are cooked….. let them cool… and blend them in a food processor together to form a fine paste.
5. Reheat pan….. Add 1 tbsp oil and add the cooked tomato paste. Let it cook for about 2 mins.
6. Now add red chilli powder, black pepper, sugar, tomato ketchup, garam masala powder, and cook.
7. Add a little water so that the it does not stick to the pan.
8. Let this cook for about 3…4 mins.
9. Finally add the boiled peas and cottage cheese.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
Your cottage cheese with peas in tangy tomato gravy is now ready. Enjoy it with steamed rice or rotis or any bread of your choice.
* You can avoid adding red chilli powder if you dont like it too spicy.
*You can use butter instead of vegetable oil.
*If you are not too much calorie conscious, you can fry the cottage cheese and then use it.
*If you prefer the texture to be more creamy…… you can add cream after step 8.
For further queries do contact me. 🙂