Summer Is Equal To- Lemon Cupcakes 😀 This is an amazing recipe to kick off summers. Lemons just scream summers to me, and lemon desserts are are one of my Favorites. And it’s almost here!
I was out of town and its been so long I havent posted anything. Gawd I missed this soo much…. I have missed you guys and I have missed Blogging……Blogging is like a daily therapy now….. I have been craving to blog all this while…. And i am sorry readers for the delay in the new post….Hope I dont dissappear again for soo long *Sigh*
These amazing cupcakes are the perfect snack for a weekend, a party, or special dinner dessert. They are wonderful for a summer evening. Spread the frosting or pipe it to make the cupcakes look like they came from the local bakery.:D
I ❤ lemon desserts, they are one of my favorites. I like my lemon desserts FULL of lemon. I need my lemon flavor strong. These cupcakes reflect that. The cupcakes themselves have a great straightforward lemon flavor. The buttercream is also full of lemon. This frosting would be great on white cupcakes ( I added color to mine to give it that lemony look) or even white chocolate cupcakes, yum!
If you are using another flavor of frosting and you like a really strong lemon flavor for the cupcakes, I would even say they could be a bit stronger, so I’ve added instructions in the recipe to do that.On the other hand, if you want the flavor a little more toned down you can always decrease the lemon juice and zest to do that.
Speaking of zest and juice, these are very important aspects to this recipe.
You really do need to use fresh lemon juice and the lemon zest needs to be really fine. The best way to do that is to use a Microplane, this is one of my most favorite kitchen tools. I use it to grate Parmesan cheese and chocolate as well as zesting citrus. It allows you to take off only the top layer of the yellow peel, don’t get any white pith into your zest or it will be bitter.
The great thing about this recipe is how easy it is. Seriously you really just throw it all into a pot and stir. This is the easiest cupcake recipe I’ve ever made. Which is great for a beginner, or for children. Or for those who don’t like a lot of work, but appreciate a great homemade cupcake. (I fall into the last category.) 😛
Another thing I love about these cupcakes is how moist they are. They really are super moist and tender. The Butter Cream recipe is a standard Butter Cream, “A butter and powdered sugar base”. Which usually doesn’t excite me and which most people think is way too sweet. But when you add something tart like lemons to all of that sugar, it really balances out the sweetness and turns this frosting into something special. I could eat this frosting with a spoon, I love it so much. In fact I needed to put the bowl in the sink and rinse it so I would stop licking the bowl. Gawd !
Like I mentioned in the post, this recipe has a great lemon flavor and the buttercream also has a strong lemon flavor, I believe they pair very well together as written. But if you are using a different flavored frosting recipe and want the cupcakes to have a really strong lemon flavor, I would increase the lemon juice to 3/4 cup, and decrease the water to 1/4 cup. If you want them with less lemon flavor I would use less zest, about 1 Tablespoon.
Prep Time: 30 to 45 mins
Baking Time: 15 mins
Makes about : 10 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- All purpose Flour- 2 cups ( 300 gms approx)
- Unsalted butter- 1 cup
- Castor Sugar- 1 1/2 cup
- Salt- A large pinch
- Baking Soda- 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder- 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract- 2 tsp
- Fresh Lemon Juice- 1/2 cup
- Fresh Lemon Zest- 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Lemon Yellow Color- 2 drops(Optional)
For the Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted Butter- 2 Cups
- Icing Sugar- 1 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tsp
- Lemon Zest- 1 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice- 60 ml
Preheat oven at 180 degrees for about 15 mins.
1. Beat butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy. Once it turns pale add in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl sieve together the dry ingredients- Flour, Baking soda, Baking Powder and salt.
3. Now fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add in yogurt a
alternatively to maintain the consistency.
4. The batter should be smooth and consistent. Add in a drop of yellow color if you like to give it that lemony kick 😉
5. Once the batter is ready, Line your cupcake tray or simply grease it with butter. Fill the batter. Dont overfill.
6. Bake until lightly golden for about 15 mins. Check with a skewer, if not done bake for 2 mins more.
7. Once out of the oven let the lemon cupcakes rest on a stand before you start putting the butter cream. Dont they look gorgeous 😀
P.S – I couldnt even resist to take a bite.
8. While the cupcakes are getting ready make the buttercream. For the butter cream whisk in butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until its peaky and fluffy.
9. Use a piping bad or just a spoon to top the cup cakes with the icing and make peaks.
10. Your lemony and buttery cupcakes are now ready 🙂
Tips you can follow:
* Lemon Cupcakes are a perfect summer kick.
* Use Fresh Lemon Juice and Fresh Lemon Zest for the awesome flavor.
*Adding color is totally optional.
*You can use a plain buttercream frosting if you dont like too much lemon flavor. Just add more vanilla.
* Dont overbake these cupcakes. They are meant to be soft and moist.
*Do not refrigerate the icing for longer as the butter will start setting again.
For further queries do contact me.
Enjoy Baking :*